The Town's General Assistance Administrator works with residents to determine if they qualify for General Assistance. Applications are reviewed on Mondays and Wednesdays by appointment only. Please contact Roberta Orsini during regular business hours at 384-3300 x 113 to make an appointment.
This state mandated program functions as a safety net to assist residents in the short term with basic necessitites (rent, electricity, heating fuel in the winter) to protect the well being of all residents in our community. Eligibility is determined according to income and expenditure guidelines established by Maine statute.
First time applicants are required to bring the following:
- Proof of all income for the past 30 days
- Proof of current expenses
- Copy of current bank statement(s)
An applicant should not expect to be granted assistance at the first appointment. Other documentation and/or verifications may be identified during the first appointment and are required prior to a final determination.
Repeat applicants are required to bring all of the above in addition to receipts to prove how all income from the past 30 days was spent. Any funds spent on items not considered basic necessities will be considered misspent and added back to the applicants 30 day income as a penalty. Misspent income includes, but is not limited to: cigarettes, alcohol, pet food, gifts, credit card payments, cable TV and phone (unless medically required).
Repeat applicants who are unemployed are required to perform a weekly verifiable job search. Other resources may be identified to assist the applicant.
This program is administered in accordance with the Town Ordinance, DHHS policy and Maine State statute and is audited on a regular basis by DHHS.
- South Berwick Community Food Pantry: South Berwick is fortunate to have a Food Pantry for the benefit of our residents. In order to determine if you qualify to use the food pantry, please contact Roberta Orsini at 384-3300 x 113. The Food Pantry is managed by a group of dedicated volunteers. This is not a Town function. Income verification is confimed by the General Assistance Administrator solely to maintain client confidentiality.
- LiHEAP Fuel Assistance: Beginning August 15, 2012 call 324-5762, Option 8 to schedule your appointment or online at www.yccac.org. If you wish to apply in South Berwick you need to specify South Berwick when you call.
- Tax and Rent Refund:
You may qualify for a refund if you do not have a spouse or dependent(s) and your 2011 household income was $64,950 or less; or you do have a spouse or dependent(s) and your 2011 household income was $86,600 or less
Your 2011 property tax was more than 4% of your 2011 household income; or the rent you paid in 2011 was more than 20% of your 2011 household income.
NOTE: Seniors do not need to meet this requirement when their household income is below $14,700 for those living alone or below $18,200 for those living with a spouse or dependent. See the application booklet for more information on who qualifies for the senior portion of the program.