Click here to sign up for Seacoast Events & Real Estate Newsletter and Email Updates
Maine has a variety of benefits available to qualifying veterans and dependents in addition to those offered by the federal government. Here are a few that might be helpful:
- VETERANS CRISIS LINE - 1-800-273-8255 Press 1
- Maine Bureau of Veterans' Services - Primary public advocate for veterans, service members, and their families. Assists with obtaining military discharge records, connecting veterans with VA benefits and disability compensation, and maximize use of numerous programs available.
- Veteran Benefit and Resource Guide - learn more about veterans' benefits available from state, local and federal government.
- Free Grants for Veterans - Assistance with rent, housing, education, medical bills and utility bills.
- Career Center - specialized employment and training services for Veterans.
- September 2018 Maine Bureau of Veterans' Services Newsletter
- Consumer Financial Services - addresses consumer financial challenges affecting military members, veterans and their families.
- State and Federal Benefits - list of benefits available to qualifying veterans and dependents.
- The Realty Medics - Home buying resources for Veterans
- The Mesothelioma Guide for Veterans- Veterans who develop mesothelioma as a result of their service in the military are entitled to benefits and assistance from the U.S. government.
- MesotheliomaVeterans.org/mesothelioma/ - Mesothelioma Veterans Center
- The Mesothelioma Fund - Offering free services for Veterans dealing with the cost of Mesothelioma treatment.
- Mesothelioma Justice Network - This website and all involved with it are dedicated to improving the overall quality of life for individuals who have been diagnosed with an asbestos-related disease. This comprehensive site has online educational resources to help support sick patients and their families.
- Mesothelioma Hub - Hotline 866-765-5647 - Although the prognosis for mesothelioma has historically been poor, new treatment options are offering patients renewed hop. Mesothelioma Hub connects you to treatment information, legal advice, and the country's top mesothelioma specialists.
- Guide to Cancer and Sleep Health - provided by Tuck Sleep - a non commercial community devoted to improving sleep hygiene, health and wellness through the creation and dissemination of comprehensive, unbiased, free web-based resources. Tuck has been referenced by Well + Good, Smithsonian Magazine, Harvard University and by many sleep organizations across the web.
- The Sleep Help Institute - Sleep is a vital component of health and recovery. This link has information on how patients in treatment and remission can deal with the sleep disrupting effects of chemotherapy, steroids, and other treatments.
www.211maine.org or dial 211 on your phone - Maine's Health & Human Services Directory - Resources for many community services and helpful information.
Addiction Help Resources in Maine:
RehabSpot.com - An information hub that focuses on educating individuals on the treatment process: from selection, to what to expect during treatment, to entering back into a drug-free life. The goal is to lessen the stigma of addiction and empower those who are struggling to find the treatment they deserve.
Services for Seniors:
Neighborhood Network is a non profit agency in partnership with York Hospital and York Housing Authority. It is a referral program allowing individuals 50 and over stay in their current home with the proper supports.
www.mainelse.org - Free confidential legal services for Maine residents age 60 or older 1-800-750-5353 Legal Services for the Elderly.pdf
www.seniorguidance.org - an organization dedicated to providing helpful senior living resources for the elderly. The site includes a dedicated section that provides extremely well detailed and thorough information on Maine assisted living.
www.aboutAssistedLiving.org - housing options for seniors.
www.seniorlivinghelp.org - an organization that provides senior living assistance to the elderly. Senior Living Help assists Maine senior citizens, their family members and caregivers in finding appropriate senior living and care facilities. Many elderly adults are no longer able to be cared for at home, so finding a senior living facility with caring and loving staff becomes necessary. Click the link for more info.
Aging in Place - Home Improvement Resources for the Elderly & Disabled. This guide provides legal and financial information for anyone looking to improve their home and make it more accessible for the elderly and disabled. There are specific tips for specific rooms in the home, finding a contractor, and information on financial grants to help fund these changes.
https://socialsecurityofficenear.me/in/maine/ - Social Security Resource Center
www.retirementliving.com - Identity Theft Protection
This Identity Theft Protection Guide helps consumers determine the best identity theft protection service to fit their needs. The guide evaluates the best companies in the industry and answers frequently asked questions. The guide is helpful for all consumers, especially seniors and is available to use and share at no cost.
Senior Living: Housing Information, Resources and Programs - Offering an overview of how aging is impacting the U.S., along with information and resources for seniors and their caregivers who need assistance navigating their options. Our guide includes an overview of the housing options available to seniors, considerations when choosing a senior living facility, and additional resources for families who need help.
Guide on Financial Assistance and Funding for Assisted Living and Senior Care
Life Storage - Tips and information on moving or relocating an elder loved one
Senior Nutrition Guide including Healthy Diet Foods for Older Adults - A dietary reference to help older adults lead a more balanced healthy life, particularly when dealing with conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, GERD and arthritis.
AARP - Advance Directives Free Forms by State
Consumer Affairs hs created a free HOME ALARMS resource that covers the important aspects to consider when selecting a home alarm or security system. It also breaks down the pros and cons of the major home alarm brands with verified reviews from experts and consumers. For more information, click on the link.
Home Improvement Resources for the Elderly and Disabled - Guide providing legal and financial information for anyone looking to improve their home and make it more accessible for the elderly or disabled. The article includes specific tips for specific rooms in the home, finding a contractor to help, and information on financial grants to help make these changes in the home.
https://www.nursinghomeabusecenter.com/ - The Nursing Home Abuse Center was founded on time honored principles of restoring dignity for some of our most vulnerable and valuable citizens.
Nursing Home Abuse Center - Information
Nursing Home Abuse - Legal Questions
Elder Abuse Prevention
Elder Abuse Prevention Additional links:
A Family for ME - You can become a Foster Parent
You can be the life changing hero in a child's story
Maine State Housing Authority - Arsenic Abatement Program
Avoiding Elderly Scams - This resource explains the most common types of scams targeting the elderly, as well as general tips for avoiding them. Senior citizens tend to be viewed as easier targets for financial scams. Unfortunately this is a growing problem and reality. This information will help keep more people informed and keep loved ones safe.
An Incredibly Massive Internet Safety Guide for Seniors
Drug Dangers - This site was developed to educate the public and lend a hand to people who have been affected by defective drugs and medical devices and inform of those that are still available on the market today. Pharmaceutical companies are trusted to put safe products on the shelves, yet thousands of people lose their lives each year due to adverse side effects. This site is designed to spread awareness in the hopes of lowering those statistics.
Whistle Blowers Information - The goal of this site is to keep the public educated and informed of the many different types of government contractor fraud, medical & healthcare fraud, pharmaceutical and FDA fraud, and tax fraud. Unfortunately these happen all too often and can cost the government millions of dollars a year at the expense of the taxpayers.
Guide to Tax Season for College Students - This complete guide to tax season helps students determine their filing status, any necessary forms, and even deducting expenses like student loan interest. It also walks through tax credits so students don't miss out on any returns. There is even a downloadable checklist!
College Financial Aid Guide- For incoming and current college students
- Federal Student Loans vs. Private Student Loans
- Student Loan Eligibility
- What are Private Student Loans
- Private Student Loan Interest Rates
- What is a Cosigner?
- How to Obtain Student Loans
- Paying Back Private Student Loans After Graduation
- How to Save Money
- and more!
Reviews.com is a website dedicated to conducting data driven and unbiased research about topics that can help make an impact in people's lives. They recently did a study of over 200 hours researching 17 of the most popular scholarship search platforms. Below are five links to help with your scholarship search.
Best Scholarship Platforms.
What you should know about scholarships.
How do scholarship search platforms work.
What students should know before they search for a scholarship.
Guide to applying for scholarships.
Your Stress-Free Guide to Student Loans - How to Understand and Manage College Related Debt
Financial Literacy Guides for Students and Parents
Guide to securing your child's credit future
Guide to securing your college students credit future
OnlineMasters - inspiring others to influence society through the pursuit of higher education. Here are links to our online database of tools, references, and articles that cover topics such as accreditation, job placement, and resources that can provide financial support.
Did you know that you can check to see if you have any unclaimed property in your name? Find out if you have any "Missing Money" at these links.